Connect with us

Tech

Mark Zuckerberg reminded us that Facebook is bad and needs to change

Published

on


Mark Zuckerberg posted a message on Facebook late on Thursday that explains how Facebook will change in 2018. The CEO’s update is included in a brand new Facebook announcement that reveals what changes are coming to the News Feed going forward. Spoiler: the News Feed will show you less news and videos and more posts from people you interact with, or posts that would generate engagement, the positive kind.

In other words, Zuckerberg just acknowledged, again, that Facebook, as it is now, is bad for you and needs to be overhauled. Facebook’s chief said a few days ago that his 2018 resolution is to fix Facebook, and it looks like changes are already underway.

Zuckerberg said in his post that one of Facebook’s big focus areas for 2018 is to make sure that the time spent on the world’s biggest social network “is time well spent.”

“We built Facebook to help people stay connected and bring us closer together with the people that matter to us. That’s why we’ve always put friends and family at the core of the experience. Research shows that strengthening our relationships improves our well-being and happiness,” Zuckerberg said, without revealing the precise source of this research. Later in the post, he does mention academic research and Facebook’s research with leading experts at universities without really going into it.

“But recently we’ve gotten feedback from our community that public content — posts from businesses, brands, and media — is crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other,” he said.

He identified the problem as being video and other content that has exploded on Facebook in the past couple of years, making it sound like these things just happened when in reality it’s Facebook who’s behind the big video push that became part of the daily Facebook experience.

But Zuckerberg and Facebook are no longer happy with the way Facebook is used right now to disseminate content and the fact that he’s announcing a significant makeover should not go unnoticed.

One other reason why Facebook may be updating the News Feed to include more posts from family and friends rather than news is to combat the explosion of fake news, a problem that first came to light after the 2016 US presidential election. Since then, Facebook took various steps trying to prevent fake news from becoming viral via Facebook.

Facebook does say that some Pages and public content will lose some traffic, as these posts will not appear as frequently as before in a user’s feed. However, a ranking system will determine what type of content will populate someone’s feed, with those pages that prompt conversations between friends likely to preserve their current placement. Of course, users will still be able to customize their News Feed, and prioritize certain Pages following the updates.

Zuckerberg’s full post and a Facebook video that explain the incoming changes follow below.

One of our big focus areas for 2018 is making sure the time we all spend on Facebook is time well spent.We built…

Posted by Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday, January 11, 2018

News Feed FYI: Bringing People Closer Together

Posted by Facebook on Thursday, January 11, 2018

Fashion and music obsessed wanderlust. Resale clothing appreciator who fancies herself a well-crafted cocktail. Occasional photographer. Amateur sneaker head.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Tech

The Galaxy S9’s main specs detailed in extensive new report

Published

on


In just over a month, the phones many Android fans are waiting for will be finally unveiled in Barcelona, Spain. Samsung confirmed as much last week at CES, putting to rest all rumors that said the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ might be announced earlier than expected.

The phones have hardly been a secret, and we already know Samsung plans to reuse last year’s Galaxy S8 design for one more year. We also have a pretty good idea of the sort of hardware improvements that we can expect from the upcoming Galaxy S9 duo. But a new report from Korea gives us the best look yet at the Galaxy S9’s hardware specs, leaving almost nothing left for Samsung to surprise us with.

The Galaxy S9’s most notable improvement is the camera, Korean language ETNews says. The phone will have a single-lens 12-megapixel rear camera, while the Galaxy S9+ is getting a dual 12-megapixel camera setup on the back. All cameras are going to feature a variable F1.5/F2.4 aperture that will let users operate the phone like a DSLR camera. The variable iris tech was already used in the Samsung W2018 clamshell phone Samsung that was released in China last month.

The Galaxy S9 will also become the first flagship phone in the world with an F1.5 aperture, which will let it capture even more light. Low-light photography should be dramatically improved as a result. Last fall, LG launched a smartphone with an F1.6 aperture, the LG V30.

Another camera feature coming to the Galaxy S9 series is slow motion shooting mode — that’s likely the super slow motion mode that has been mentioned in previous reports. On the front side of the phone, you’ll find an 8-megapixel camera with autofocus. The Galaxy S9’s selfie cam also incorporates the components needed for facial recognition features, and the phone has a standalone iris recognition camera as well.

Aside from the camera, the Galaxy S9 will feature other interesting technology, like the Substrate Like PCB (SLP) mainboard design that will let Samsung squeeze miniaturized circuits into an even smaller space, thus freeing more room for the battery. SLP will be used in roughly 60% of Galaxy S9 units, or the ones that will be powered by Samsung’s own Exynos processor. The iPhone X employs similar tech, and it’s what allowed Apple to reduce the size of the logic board in the handset.

Finally, the report notes that the Galaxy S9 will bring over Samsung’s first display that will incorporate Y-OCTA technology. That’s short for Youm On-Cell Touch AMOLED, and it refers to new display tech that allows Samsung to reduce the overall size and weight of a screen and place the touch sensor right on top of the flexible OLED layer. The report makes no mention of 3D Touch-like support for the Galaxy S9, which had been rumored.

The report does not mention the actual size of the Galaxy S9 batteries, but a report earlier this week hinted Samsung will rely on the same 3,000 mAh and 3,500 mAh capacities used for the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. The new Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be unveiled during a press conference late next month ahead of their expected release on March 16th.

Continue Reading

Tech

Bloomberg: Apple hires data scientist team for analytics project

Published

on


Apple has hired a team of data scientists from a company called Silicon Valley Data Science, Bloomberg reports. While it doesn’t sound like a full blown acquisition, the report notes that Apple’s hiring spree includes the CEO of the consulting firm.

Apple confirmed some of the hires in a statement to Bloomberg as well:

Founded in 2013, the Mountain View, California-based startup provided data analysis to larger companies to improve their forecasts, operational efficiency, and customer relationships, according to the firm’s website. An Apple spokesman acknowledged a few dozen employees from Silicon Valley Data Science joined the company.

The report goes on to say that the new data scientist hires have been assigned to “analytics in ad-related initiatives” at the company.

The new hiring wave follows Apple’s acquisition of audio recognition service Shazam in December, the startup behind the QuantumFilm image sensor in November, and the team behind the development service Buddybuild earlier this month.

Continue Reading

Tech

Razer Phone 2 Could Launch In September With Project Linda

Published

on


The Razer Phone was launched back in November of last year and now it looks like we have some details about its successor, the Razer Phone 2.

According to a recent report the second generation Razer Phone will launch in September of 2017. The device is rumored to launch along with the new Project Linda.

Project Linda was revealed at CES 2018 earlier this month, it is an add on device for the Razer Phone that turns the handset into a gaming laptop. As yet there are no specifications on the new Razer Phone 2, although we can expect it to get a number of upgrades over the current handset.

The existing Razer Phone is equipped with a 5.72 inch IGZO LCD display that has a QHD resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels. The device is powered by a Snapdragon 835 processor and 8GB of RAM. The handset features 64GB of storage and a microSD card slot for expansion.

Other specifications on the device include a8 megapixel front facing camera for Selfies, on the back there are two cameras. One has a 12 megapixel sensor with a wide angle lens. The other has a 13 megapixel sensor with a telephoto lens. The handset comes with a 4000 mAh battery and Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 4+.

As September is the rumored launch date for the second generation Razer Phone it looks like the handset could be made official at Mobile World Congress 2018.

Source Frandroid, GSM Arena

Continue Reading

Trending